Saturday 21 November 2009

Vintage Cine Cameras

Today I have been sorting through old cine cameras and finding out all about the ones I currently have to sell. I have taken some photo's ready for Ebay and just started some research about each model, I currently own around 15 or so!


Most are in a 'working' condition and the ones that are not may be, thats if I can figure out how to work them. I guess I could look this up on the internet, there are plenty of cine camera manuals and dedicated cine camera websites out there, but I much prefer figure them out for myself.


Most cine camera's appear fairly simple to figure out how to use but some can be very 'baffling'! Especially to someone new to this but I am learning something new with each camera.



I am amazed at some of the 'interiors' of these cine cameras, apart from being in excellent condition some look simply wonderful. You don't see anything like this in modern cameras, I guess its more about 'cost' and probably the fact that not many people would care as long as it worked.




It makes me wonder if there is a 'point' to what I have just said well I guess you could say yes. Take camera's for instance, the modern digital camera? I would not be without mine especially for the work I do but in the past couple of years, I have had to replace them at least every 18 months.

They do exactlly what they are meant to do but they just don't make them as 'robust' as they should do. Maybe there are one's out there but I am guessing these are not going to be cheap?  I could understand why if I were a 'wildlife' photographer or had to use the camera in 'extreme' places but this is not the case.



Maybe I should 'splash' out and buy a more expensive camera? I have never paid more than £200.00 for one and would worry if I did. The digital camera's I have owned in the past have all been your average, half decent and fine for the work that I do but they have all stopped working after a period of time.



Ironically, there is an exception and this still works today even though it must be over 10 years old and for the last 8 or so years has just been left in a desk drawer. Guess what it is? A Kodak! yes a Kodak DC215 Zoom that cost me a fortune when I purchased it.



The only reason I stopped using it was because I had upgraded to a camera with more 'megapixels, plus it would 'burn' through AA batteries no problem until someone advised me to use re-chargeble one's. Talking of Kodaks, I have managed to sort out the problem with the No.1 Pocket Kodak and its working fine now, will update later.



Just realised the time so its 'off to bed' for me, early morning start tomorrow. I am off to take some photo's, something I have been meaning to do for a while now. Its all very good 'dealing' in cameras but I want to go out and see what I can do. I will be using a digital camera, hopefully a 'film' one soon, its more of a practise run. Plus I am very good at editing photo's with Photoshop, I know its cheating but I have salvaged some great photo's. I guess when it comes to using 'film' theres going to be less chance of that.



One last thing, I have found out that the local college allows anyone to use there 'darkroom' and will also give advise. This is great news as I intend to have a go at developing the photo's I shoot, hopefully will be able to arrange something for next week.

No comments: