Friday 4 December 2009

VINTAGE KODAK VIGILANT SIX-20

The first old vintage camera I have for sale is a very nice KODAK VIGILANT Six-20 and this is in a very nice condition. The old camera is clean for its age and only has a little rust here and there, this does add to its character in my opinion. I am one of those who feels that restoration can be a good thing but sometimes its nice to see some wear.


I like this camera and its one that I would of like to keep for myself but I have to stick to my 'ethos', I am a dealer not a collector! It gets more difficult to part with these pieces of functional 'art', that is to say, you could easily put a film in this camera and take a photo'. It would probably be much better than any digital, in my humble opinion, because the photo would have 'soul'.

Even closed it oozes style unlike most modern camera's and even with some minor defects, its a stunner! Obviously, you cannot compare a digital or film camera on performance or can you? Ok, its going to take time loading the film, developing and so on compared to a digital but once you have taken the photo and had it developed, it can be scanned.


Once scanned, you should notice the difference between digital and film, I am not saying every photo will be better or worse. What I am saying is, if you are after a superior image to work with then use film, if you are 'snapping' away then use digital. This is from someone who 'always' uses a digital and the last time I used film was back in the seventies.



Look how clean this camera is inside, looks as good as the day it was made even the label looks as new. You usually find this on most 'folders', the exterior may look the worse for wear but internally, its like new! If it does not, then this is a good indicator that you are either looking at a camera that require restoring or you don't mind just displaying it.

Imagine how 'cool' this would look on display, either as part of a collection or just on its own. I did consider making some oak bases for these to 'sit' on but they look just as good on there own. I could imagine one of these sat on a glass shelf in a minimalist dwelling.


The technology behind this camera is outstanding for the year it was made and works as well today as the day it was first used. I bet you won't be able to write that in 80 or so odd year about digital! This KODAK has a Diomatic shutter with a Kodak Anastigmat 100mm lens.

The one minor problem with this Kodak camera is the door catch does not work. looking at it, I don't think its a major job to repair and I have considered this when coming up with a starting figure for the asking price. I have seen similar camera's sell on Ebay for around the £15 - 40.00 but with the usual Dakon shutter. Theres also the P&P costs and these range anything from £5 - 15.00, I did see some lucky so and so bought one for £4.00 plus £5.00 P&P!



That makes it so hard to put a decent price on such a great camera, four quid? I would rather keep this great example of a vintage Kodak camera than sell it for that. So, what would be a good price for me and a good price for whoever buys this.
Well, the P&P is a 'given', if you live at the furthest point from me then its going to cost YOU more and its as simple as that. I don't charge for packaging and use recycable packaging materials. That is, I popped down to the local supermarket gathering cardboard and anything else which would suffice.
I do have to purchase brown parcel tape but I can get this a 50 pence a 'pop' and it does go a long way for smaller packages. Thankfully, this camera is nice and simple to package plus its not going to weigh too much!
So, to set a fair price for this camera, considering the condition and that it has a Diomatic lens I think a fair starting price would be £30.00 plus P&P
ACTUALLY, that don't sound fair to me but if I sold this camera for this price then at least I can convince myself that its actually worth buying and selling camera's. I can even justify the price I paid for it in the first place as the final offer I except is not always a 'profitable' choice. Its more a matter of freeing up cash for buying more things, making Paypal & Ebay 'easy' money (paying my fees), paying other business bills and so on, I forgot, I also have to eat!

So its down to you, if you make me an offer and its on the right day then you may grab yourself a bargain. I can be contacted by email - contact@charliequins.com if you want to speak in person then send me your telephone number and I will call you.

No comments: